Tuesday, November 04, 2008

Even Sharon

I was offering a friend advice who said he was feeling stressed. All he has to do is type five words in a chat session and then he gets a novel back. Anyway, as I was offering advice--a.k.a. I was babbling on and on as if the words were in my head and not in a chat session--I realized something about myself: that I am too positive for my own good.

My problem isn't that I'm depressed because things aren't happening. My problem is that I'm happy even if things aren't going my way. I'm generally content. But I need to be mad. I need to get angry and fight for what I want--instead of trusting that it will happen. And even as I typed that sentence, in my head I said, "But it will."I think there's no hope for me.

The ones that succeed aren't the content. It's those that had to overcome struggles to get where they are. They had to fight to prove themselves.

Maybe this is a confidence problem. As in I'm too confident that things are going to work out for me. Actually I do find that I have a sort of Seinfeld thing going on with me where everything seems to balance out. I lose two friends, I gain four. I forget to bring my lunch to work, and a client brings lunch to the office. I lose a hundred dollars, I find a hundred dollars on the floor of a bar downtown. (Okay the last one really happened. I was short on cash and found a hundred dollars on the ground when my earring randomly dropped to my feet. I initially thought the money fell out of my wallet--since I had a hundred dollars in my wallet that night. And then when I went to put the money in my wallet, CHA-CHING!--It was already there. It did occur to me to attempt to find its owner, but I knew that the first person I asked would claim it. )

No comments: